Community Service Information
All BMCHS students are required to complete community service hours as a part of their academic and faith formation. All students are required to complete 25 hours of Community Service for each year they are at Bishop Moore Catholic. Students. Community Service must be completed at a non-profit organization. Students are advised to have no less than 50 hours by April 1st of their sophomore year and 75 hours by April 1st of the junior year. These requirements must be met in order to apply for a parking space in May before their junior year.
All community service hours need to be added online by using x2VOL link, which can be accessed by logging into Naviance Student. The x2VOL system is for students only. The link is not available under the parent’s login.
If assistance is needed please stop by the Guidance office or contact Mrs. Katie Carniglia at CarnigliaK@bishopmoore.org.
Community Service Guidelines
- All community service hours must be completed with non-profit organizations.
- Any activities performed during the school day will not be counted as service hours.
- Any club, band, choral, color guard, or athletic meetings do not count as service hours.
- Any activity that is part of a class in which a student receives a grade can’t be counted as service hours.
- Donating items for service drives, for example - Thanksgiving food drive, prom clothes drive, etc. - can only be awarded 1 hour.
- Students attending mission trips will be able to use 8 hours per day of the trip as service.
- All students must enter their hours into x2VOL in order for them to be verified/approved.
Creating an x2VOL Account
(The School Counselors walk the students through this process at the beginning of 9th grade. It only needs to be done one time.)
- Log into Naviance Student.
- Scroll to the bottom of the homepage; click the x2VOL link (purple box).
- Type your student ID number.
- Type in all personal information using your BMCHS email address.
- Click “proceed.”
- At the bottom of the next page (the student registration page), click “proceed” again.
- Skip the “sign-in preference” section.
- Under “school group,” click your respective class year.
- Under “event notification,” click box in front of both “I understand” statement and in front of the “I am 13 years old” statement.
- Lastly, click “complete registration” and “close.”
Logging New Community Service Hours
- Log into Naviance Student http://connection.naviance.com/bishopmoore. click the x2VOL link (purple box)
- Click “Add Hours” under Common Tasks.
- Click “Create New” under My Activity Log.
- Complete by entering the correct information:
- Activity Name - Enter the organization
- Project Description – A description of what was done
- File -You may upload a copy of your community service form by completing either of the following methods:
- Uploading a picture of the BMCHS Community Service Form
- Click on "choose file"
- Click the button marked "Upload". If the button is not clicked the file will not upload
- If the form is uploaded you don’t have to turn it in to the office.
- Keep the form for your records.
- In the space provided, entering a valid email for your contact person who represented your service activity.
Community Service FAQ?
Do I need to upload a copy of the Community Service form?
A copy of the community service form doesn’t have to be uploaded in the system if you have listed the email address of a contact person for the event. Your contact will be sent an email from the x2VOL system asking him or her to verify the completed service hours. He or she will have to respond to that email in order for your hours to be approved by BMCHS.
If you don’t have an email listed for your contact person, a picture of the completed BMCHS Community Service Form must be uploaded into your x2VOL entry in order for the hours to be approved.
What types of organizations can I volunteer for in order for my hours to count towards graduation?
Community service hours must be completed for non-profit organizations.
Am I limited on the number of locations I can volunteer for, and will the hours completed count for the Bright Futures Scholarship?
There is no limit to the number of organizations at which a student can earn service hours. All verified community service hours will count towards the Bright Futures scholarship program.
Where can students find out about service hour organizations?
Service hour opportunities are announced to students through club organizations, on our daily announcements, and on our website.
Will the school contact the service site where I worked?
Service sites may be contacted at any time to verify that the student did, in fact, perform the service as represented.
Can students who transfer to BMCHS use their hours that were completed at their previous school?
Yes, transfer students may use any service hours that were completed at their previous school. Documentation from that school will be needed in order for the Guidance Office to approve the hours.
When can incoming freshman students’ community service hours begin to count towards their graduation requirement?
Hours that are completed on or after June 1 immediately prior to starting BMCHS classes can be counted towards their service hour requirement.
When can students begin entering community service hours in the x2VOL system?
Students’ x2VOL accounts will be able to be accessed once the academic school year has begun. Information and instructions will be given during the beginning weeks of school.
Can I earn service hours on the Bishop Moore campus?
Participation in outreach activities and service club projects may qualify. Students will not be excused from classes to perform service work unless the event is organized through Bishop Moore (for example- Leadership Team, Campus Ministry, and Band). Please contact the Guidance Office for clarification or approval.
Will the school arrange for my service?
Bishop Moore provides information about service opportunities, but it is the student’s responsibility to contact the individuals or organizations and arrange meetings and work schedules.
Is this like a job where I must show up when I am scheduled to work?
Within the Orlando area, Bishop Moore volunteers have developed an excellent reputation for being dependable and responsible volunteers. If a student makes a commitment to be at a particular place at an arranged time to do a task, the student needs to fulfill that commitment. Those who rely on others for transportation must take that into consideration when making a commitment. If a student is unavoidably prevented from keeping an appointment, the contact person should be notified well in advance and the service time should be rescheduled if possible.
Who do I contact with questions regarding service hours?
Any questions regarding community service hours can be directed to Mrs. Katie Carniglia, CarnigliaK@bishopmoore.org.
Are you looking for someplace to volunteer?
Check out the following places.
Blessed Sacrament (Clermont)
Mary, Queen of the Universe
Most Precious Blood
St. Catherine of Sienna
St. John Vianney
St. Margaret Mary
St. Mary Magdalen
St. Mary of the Lakes
St. Maximillian Kolbe
St. Philip Phan Van Minh
St. Rose of Lima
Sts. Peter and Paul
Other Local Organizations
A Gift for Teaching
Bishop Grady Villas
Catholic Charities of Central Florida
Clean the World
College Park Main Street Association
Give Kids the World Village
JMJ Pregnancy Center
New Hope For Kids
Orlando City Soccer Foundation
Orlando Science Center
Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando
Ronald McDonald House, Orlando
Second Harvest Food Bank
St. Luke's United Methodist Church
UCP of Central Florida